Monday 29 September 2014

Mock up of x axis

I finished the second x axis rail installation tonight and got it onto the table to mock up a position that they will be mounted. I checked the straightness of the rail mounting to the back of the c channel and I'm 1 degree out over the length only one and .8 degrees out on the other over the length. Not too bad, also Ok because the difference in angles is almost exactly mirroring each other. I have decided to move the c channel further over one end of the table so I can put some short extending rails at the end of the main and be able to park the gantry clear of unloading and loading of sheets. Will see how this goes later on.

Major issue is still getting both rails at exactly the right height and distance apart. I think I'm going to have to make up a jig on a sheet of braced ply that will hold the two channels into place and then weld the channels into place. Getting everything perfectly level will then be a matter of installing some levelling feet to the table. Back to the sketch books to come up with ideas for the jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment